Bachellor Degree in Nutrition
According to the Academic Model of Bachelor Degree in the UANL
The latest update to the curriculum of the Degree in Nutrition was approved by the H. University Council on December 1st, 2009 with adequacy in 2013 and registered with the Directorate General of Professions of the Federal Public Education Secretariat with the official name of Bachelor Degree in Nutrition and registration number 515344.
Objectives of the degree program
The objective of the Faculty of Public Health and Nutrition is to train professionals in Nutrition and Postgraduate students in the areas of Nutrition and Public Health, to be part of the different working fields of the region and the country. In relation to the Bachelor degree, it is given a special emphasis on the knowledge of facts, principles, processes and concepts of Nutrition, as well as nutritional attention of people and communities, assurance of the quality of the processes of food production for communities (level 6 according to the European qualification reference framework, EQF). Additionally, students are involved in the implementation of institutional development plans, identifying problems and proposing solutions with the use of technology from the field (Level 6 EQF).
Learning outcomes and intended qualifications profile
At the end of the academic career, the student demonstrates the achievement of the competencies defined by the Educational Program:
- To evaluate the nutritional status of people, to identify risks through interpretation of the anthropometric, biochemical, clinical and dietary indicators, as well as the economic situation.
- To evaluate the nutritional status of people with pathologies, to identify risks through interpretation of the anthropometric biochemical, clinical and dietary indicators, as well as the economic situation.
- To develop the process of nutritional care to positively impact on the health of the people, through the identification of problems, the establishment of objectives and goals of treatment, evaluation and feedback.
- To design the diet plans, its follow up and control, appropriate to people, considering the distribution of equivalents, the design of the menu, the consultations of monitoring and control, and the adjustments in the nutrition plan.
- To orient and assess the people on the adequate food, to modify and/or strengthen the eating habits through the establishment of objectives and goals of treatment and evaluation.
- To determine the food situation and/or nutritional status of various population groups, in order to identify health risks in populations, considering the national and international standards determined by the governing bodies of the field.
- To determine the nutrient content and the quality of food through the development of laboratory tests and the interpretation of bromatological analysis in order to inform the consumer about the properties of the food.
- To evaluate the sanitary quality in the manufacturing of food through the review of microbiological testing reports and the contrast with the standards established in national and international norms, in order to reduce the risk of foodborne diseases.
- To participate in planning menus applying basic knowledge about physical structure, composition, types and varieties of each food group in order to give the population a varied and healthy diet.
- To propose alternatives for the resolution of food problems, applying the basic knowledge regarding the physical, chemical, and biological aspects of food processing, from obtaining the raw material in the distribution, acquisition and consumption, to providing the public with healthy eating options.
- To design the administrative and operational structure of a food service to determine the elements that participate in the direction and operation, which enable to optimize the resources planned and obtain benefits for the organization and its users, through the design of prototypes in the clinical, industrial and commercial areas, and/or civil society organizations.
- To ensure the sanitary, nutritious and sensory quality for processed foods in the food service and food industry, through the observance of national and international norms in effect.
- To propose ways of correct collective feeding, covering the nutritional recommendations of different age groups in public and private institutions and civil society.
- To design, calculate, prepare and evaluate normal and modified diets through the adequacy of the normal regime, to contribute to the prevention and/or recovery of health in the population.
- To acquire the ability to interact with inter, multi and trans disciplinary working teams through the intervention in the different professional fields of the dietician.
- To develop new products and services related to food and nutrition, with the purpose of covering specific needs of the community, through the identification of opportunity areas in the field of Nutrition Science.
- To generate viable projects, which enable the dietician to self-employ and create sources of employment in the different professional fields.
- To raise and update policies on food, nutrition and health, to contribute to the resolution of fundamental problems in the various areas of professional development, in the public and private institutions in contexts of the state, national and international levels.
- To make timely and accurate decisions for the solution of problems and improvement of the conditions related to food, nutrition and health, in the different professional performance areas of the dietician.
- To guide and assess on food, nutrition and health in order to improve individual and collective conditions in the different professional performance fields of the dietician.
- To apply the scientific method based on a protocol, to generate new knowledge, intervention strategies, products and services in the different professional fields of performance of the dietician.
- To implement quality systems that allow the continuous improvement of organizational services and products generated, with a focus on satisfying the needs of the customer.
- To preparing technical and research reports, susceptible of publication in the scientific literature in the field or in specialized academic events.
- To perform a civic and professional practice through the continuous and permanent update of the competencies, through the feedback and certification of related organisms such as disciplinary schools and institutions.
These competencies have an instrumental function and include linguistic, methodological, technological or cognitive skills, according to academic and professional profile required at national and international level.
- Implement strategies for autonomous learning at different levels and fields of knowledge that will lead to the timely and relevant decision-making in the personal, academic and professional areas.
- Use the logical, formal, mathematical, iconic, verbal and nonverbal languages according to the student´s stage of life and critical thinking skills required in the field of research, to understand, interpret and express ideas, feelings, theories and currents of thought within an ecumenical approach.
- Manage the information and communication technologies as tools for the access to information and its transformation into knowledge, as well as for the learning and collaborative work with state of the art techniques that allow the students to constructively participate in society.
- Have a solid command of their mother language in oral and written form with correction, relevance, timeliness, and ethics by adapting its message to the situation or context, for the transmission of ideas and scientific findings.
- Use logical, critical and purposeful thinking to Analyze natural and social phenomena in order to let the student make appropriate decisions in his/her circle of influence with social responsibility.
- Use a second language, preferably English, with clarity and correction to communicate in everyday, academic, professional and scientific contexts.
- Prepare inter, multi and trans disciplinary academic and professional proposals in accordance to global best practices to promote and consolidate collaborative work.
- Use the methods and techniques of traditional and state of the art research for the development of the student´s academic work, the exercise of the profession and generation of knowledge.
Personal and social interaction skills
These competencies facilitate the personal and interpersonal human development process, the social interaction and cooperation through the expression of feelings and emotions, criticism and self-criticism.
- Maintain an attitude of commitment and respect for the diversity of social and cultural practices that reaffirm the principle of integration in the local, national and international context with the purpose of promoting environments of peaceful coexistence.
- Respond to the challenges of the contemporary society in a local and global manner, with a critical and human attitude, academic and professional engagement to contribute to the strengthening of general welfare and sustainable development.
- Practice the values promoted by the UANL: truth, fairness, honesty, freedom, solidarity, respect for life and for others, respect for nature, integrity, professional ethics, justice and responsibility, in the personal and professional skills to help build a sustainable society.
These competencies integrate instumental, personal and social interactions skills, so the graduate enhance, along with the development of specific competencies, the integral training which will enable him/her to the profesional performance at local, national and international level.
- Build innovative proposals based on the holistic understanding of reality to help overcome the challenges of the interdependent global environment.
- Assume the leadership committed to the social and professional needs to promote social and relevant change.
- Resolve personal and social conflicts in accordance with specific techniques in the academic field and regarding their profession for appropriate decision-making.
- Achieve the adaptability that the scientific, social and professional uncertainty requires to create better living conditions.
Professional fields from the current work of the Bachelors in Nutrition:
Basic professional fields
- Clinical Nutrition Science
- Food Technology
- Food Services
Tranversal professional fields
The professional field includes:
- Productive sector enterprises: Private hospitals, outpatient clinic, health services at workplace, industrial dining halls, school canteens, restaurants, food industry, pharmaceutical industry.
- Public sector agencies: Health, education, economy, social development.
- Civil society organizations: Implementations of health programs in populations.
- Research and educational centres
- Media: Promoting healthy diet and lifestyle, through press, radio, television and electronic media such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Consulting services: related to clinical and population nutrition, innovation and improvement of food industry products, quality improvement in food services.
- Entrepreneurship (free lance): Nutrition clinic, food services, consulting services.
- International organizations: WHO, PAHO, FAO, Cruz Roja, UNICEF, etc.
The Autonomous University of Nuevo Leon (UANL) requests the National Centre of Superior Evaluation, CA. (CENEVAL) the implementation of the National Examination for Admission to Higher Education (EXANI-II).
In addition to having introduced the EXANI-II, the entry requirements are:
- Having satisfactorily completed upper middle education, i.e. the high school level.
- To be accepted as candidate for the Bachelor degree in Nutrition
- Express interest to complete a professional career in the area of health and to develop a healthy lifestyle.
- Have availability for schedules, since the programming of the different units of learning is between 7:00 and 20:00.
- To have the economic capacity to afford the studies or request a scholarship from different types, granted in the UANL or by other organizations.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the values and ideals of the UANL and social development.
- Completely attend the Introduction Course to the Bachelor Degree in Nutrition and submit to psychological tests and anthropometric, dietary and physical condition evaluation.